Philadelphia: Merrihew & Gunn, 1838. First Edition. Tall 8vo, pp. 200. Some foxed, front hinge loose, Illustrated with three plates. Bound in modern blue cloth, frontispiece rebacked, some foxed, a good copy. Includes remarks by W.L. Garrison, Theodore Weld, Angelina Grimke Weld, Abby Kelly, J. G. Whittier, and others. BAL 21712; Howes W-189; LCP/HSP Afro-Americana catalogue , 11001;. Item #57448
Pennsylvania Hall was built from donations of members of the abolitionist community. The hall was used for only four days before it was sacked and burned by a reactionary crowd. During the third day of the hall's exisence, it was used by the Anti-Slavery Convention of American Women. The frontispiece shows the newly completed building while the other two plates show the hall in flames and the ruins of the building after the fire had been put out.